Some of my clients asked me to give them a Tapping Script that may help them on a daily basis with their procrastination. So I have written one here below. I would also like to talk a little bit about procrastination and to remind you that you are not bad or wrong for procrastinating. Go easy on yourself, in fact, it is of PRIME importance NOT to beat yourself up for procrastinating, that is only going to make things worse.
There is always a reason why we procrastinate and the important thing is to find out why and to tap into that issue.
- Our body/mind/spirit system is trying to keep us ‘safe’. Our brain is thinking subconsciously, if we get this achieved the long-term payoff is too scary, I may be killed, be successful, I may fail, lose my job, be seen, stand out, get more clients and then be too busy, be judged, criticized, yelled at, or any number of other fears that keep us stuck.
- Procrastination can be a way of rebelling against an authority figure such as a teacher, boss, parent or anyone in a leadership position over you. You procrastinate as you feel this is the only way you can feel any control or autonomy over your life. Perhaps they let you down, took advantage of you and hurt you.
- You may be procrastinating because you have resentment and anger over the way they have treated you. There is a part of you that is resisting doing the task or project to ‘get back at them.’ Problem is it may be hurting you in the long run.
All these issues can affect you and your ability to get important things completed and to take care of you. Part of our procrastination might mean we will be ‘busy’ filling up our time with unimportant tasks. Ask yourself:
- is this helping me to get my important tasks done first?
- Am I spending too much time on Facebook, watching TV, shopping or doing other activities that are not helping me to move forward in getting my goals and projects done on time?
- How can I take care of me here? How do I handle this situation while getting my needs met?
Tapping can help you calm the fear, fight, freeze response in the body, the anger and resentment over the hurts and thereby help you to think more calmly and with clarity. Instead of numbing out, you are able to choose how you want to respond in any given situation.
Following is a script for you on feeling ‘safe’ to get your goals achieved. Remember that you can change the words to fit yourself. Your words are the best words for you! Tapping scripts are hard to do because each and everyone one of us is unique and different, so creating a one size fits all is nearly impossible. Nevertheless, tapping is better than doing nothing, so give it a whirl and persevere. Tapping on procrastination needs persistence!
Remember also that in EFT we always tap on the negative first, that is how our minds and bodies will be able to accept the positive affirmations. We have to take care of the negative first. Check your discomfort about the issue and rate it between 1 and 10. 10 being the most discomfort and 0 being no discomfort. Only when we feel we are at a 4 level or below do we bring in the positive affirmations.
The Wrist Point (WP) is inside the wrist, where you would take your pulse.
Tap on each point 5 to 7 times.
KC (Karate Chop Point): Even though I don’t want to do…………………….., I feel sick to my stomach just thinking about it. In fact, I don’t even want to think about it, I accept myself anyway
Even though I don’t want to do……………………….., I refuse to do……………………, I will never do……………….., it’s too hard, it’s disgusting, it’s so much easier just numbing out and being distracted, I am open to seeing this issue from a different point of view and I deeply and completely accept myself
Even though the thought of doing this task gives me a headache, makes me feel nauseous, embarrassed, guilty (or whatever it is for you). I am open to giving myself credit for dealing with this, for tapping on this issue and trying to work through this procrastination and I deeply and profoundly accept myself.
TH (Top of Head): This procrastination
EB (Eye Brow): This procrastinating
SE (Side of Eye): I’m tired of procrastinating
UE (Under Eye): I’m sick and tired of not taking care of myself
UN (Under Nose): This procrastinating
CP (Chin Point): I’m done with it
CB (Collar Bone Point): I’m sick of it
UA (Under Arm): I’m sick of not getting stuff done
WP (Wrist Point): I’m sick of wasting my own time
TH: This procrastination
EB: This procrastination
SE: This procrastinating
UE: I’m over it
UN: I’m done with it
CP: I’m tired of it
CB: I’ve had enough of it
UA: This procrastinating
WP: This procrastination
TH: It’s too difficult?
EB: Not possible
SE: It’s too scary?
UE: too dangerous
UN: This fear
CP: This fear
CB: This fear
UA: It’s way too scary
WP: Opening up a can of worms
TH: It’s never going to happen
EB: Too scary
SE: I’m not brave enough
UE: It’s life and death for me
UN: I just want to let this fear go
CP: I’m so tired of it
CB: I just want to let it go
UA: Maybe it’s possible, I could let some of the fear go?
WP: What if I am safer than I thought?
TAKE A DEEP BREATH AND CHECK IN WITH YOUR BODY – what is your discomfort between 1-10? If it is still over a 4 go back and repeat the above. If it is a 4 or below, go on to the next rounds.
TH: What if could try a little bit at a time?
EB: What if I could feel safe doing that?
SE: Maybe it’s possible
UE: What if it could actually feel good getting the work done?
UN: What if I could feel grounded and safe doing the work?
CP: I wonder if it’s possible I could feel confident getting my needs met?
CB: What if I could feel more calm and safe?
UA: What if could start slow?
WP: What if I am worthy to get my needs met?
TH: I’m giving myself permission to actually enjoy getting my goals met
EB: I know I’m worth it
SE: I’m choosing to honor myself here and get this important work done
UE: I’m worth it
UN: I actually enjoy getting things done in a timely manner
CP: I’m choosing to acknowledge the hard work I’ve put in over the years
CB: I did it before and I can do it again
UA: I’m choosing to look forward to achieving my goals and taking care of myself
UC: I’m choosing to take care of me
WP: I’m choosing to take care of me and I’m worth it
TAKE A DEEP BREATH AND REPEAT ANY ROUNDS AS NECESSARY!
Just remember to listen to your body and if there is any tension then you know you need to tap more. Remember that we always tap on the negative and when the feelings (negative) go down to a 4 or below then you can bring in some positive affirmations or in this case I brought in open-ended questions which kick the brain into finding solutions for itself. If asking those questions brings out a big NO, then keep tapping on the negative some more until your body feels ready to accept the positive.
Here are some pointers that have helped me and others do those important tasks first:
- Write a list the night before with the important tasks to be done first.
- Do the hardest tasks first.
- Put the list either on our computer where you can cross it off or up on your wall, where it is in your face and hard to ignore.
- Have a timer beside you (also there are apps that you can download free online) that give you 5,10, 20 or 30 minutes to do the difficult tasks. Make the time an amount where you can feel ‘safe and comfortable putting in that time. You can start small and build up.
- If you have more than one task, use that timer for each and keep to the time, it is really helpful.
- Congratulate yourself for getting them done, pat yourself on the back, dance to some great music, sound the ‘Applause’ (free app) on your phone or jump up and down wildly. Do something fun. I know it sounds crazy to do that but you are actually retraining your brain into believing that doing these difficult tasks can actually be a good thing and even fun.
Something I remind myself from time to time is how am I going to feel on my deathbed if I never achieved the goals I had set for myself or achieved what I thought I was here to do in this life. I want to pass on from this life knowing that I did achieve what I set out to do or know that I did the best that I could. I would feel terrible knowing I wasted my gifts by procrastinating and reminding myself of this, keeps the fire lit under me. Even if you are young, it’s good to ponder this because you want to live a full, rich life of adventure, passion, and love, without regrets.
It does take some discipline. I know that can be a dreaded word for many but honestly, after you have achieved the task you feel so much better. It’s worth it, so if you need to do some minor gritting of teeth to just start, I say why not? This is where tapping can be SO helpful to neutralize the fears, anger, or resentment that are keeping you stuck!
Another important thing I do is I always check in with God, sometimes we push ourselves into goals that are perhaps not what we really want in our hearts. We just think we ought to. Maybe there is or was an expectation by our family, perhaps we made a vow a long time ago but now we feel as if we should be doing something else. It is completely acceptable to let go of a goal that you discover you don’t want anymore. Just make sure to know what is true for you and you’re not just pushing back.
Remember you are valuable beyond measure and I hope you feel better from tapping with this script and you will be able to achieve those tasks and goals you set out to do. If this script doesn’t help then you may need to work one on one with someone because there are probably underlying deep-seated issues that need to be addressed and healed that are causing the procrastination. I didn’t get to write a script for the anger/resentment/rebellion and hurt issues. I think this blog would have been so long. Maybe that is for another day and you can use this template and again add your anger/resentment/rebellion and hurt phrases and words.
Don’t forget you can always reach out to me for a free consult if you have questions and need to work more deeply on your issues to get unstuck.
Love to you,